"ColoradoTown.com KEYWORD Our Lady of Perpetual Help "
Our Lady of Perpetual Help [Website] 218 Ruxton Ave., Manitou Springs, CO 80829 (719) 685-9388
Our Lady of Perpetual Help was founded in Colorado City in 1860 to minister to the first settlers in the area. On July 30, 1882, Bishop Macheboeuf dedicated a Catholic Church in Manitou. The new church, built by the Gillis brothers at 218 Ruxton Avenue, was dedicated on August 1, 1889, with Father Frederick Bender as its pastor. A small rectory was built that same year. Four years later, Father J. B. Francolon became the pastor and built Miramont Castle. On August 3, 1903, the original church was destroyed by fire. A new structure was built and dedicated by the following October, when Father M. F. Callahan added the Lourdes Grotto. In 1926 the Oblates of Mary Immaculate took charge of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, serving it as a mission from the expanded and now renamed Sacred Heart Church in Old Colorado City. The current Pastor is Fr. Bob Epping, C.S.C.